August 30, 2009

A Mishmosh

Some interesting things I've learned recently:
  1. The tracert command traces the path from one computer to another to a maximum of 30 hops. When your Internet connection is down, the output consists of 30 lines of "* * * Request timed out."
  2. Apple is run by an evil genius. If I weren't so disciplined, I could waste hours of my life on my iPod, getting stuff on the App Store, and reading Kindle books. Wait, that's what I did yesterday...
  3. HTML may do a lot more now than it used to, but trying to figure out which tags are supported, which are deprecated in favor of other tags, and which are deprecated in favor of CSS is a touch annoying. For example, it's apparently okay to use bold and italic tags, but not strikethrough or underline.
  4. If you have a URL, and you want to get its associated IP address, use NSLOOKUP. For Windows users, type nslookup www.website.com in the Command Prompt. When I typed in www.google.com, for example, I got 6 different IP addresses, all in the 74.125.159.* range. What I liked, though, was that the results were preceded by the words "Non-authoritative answer".
Quote of the Week:
"Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast." --Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice

No comments: