I probably should have broken that into more sentences. Let's review what isn't acceptable in web writing:
- Semicolons
- Long paragraphs
- Long headers
- Complex sentences
- Sentences that aren't stuffed with keywords
- Formal writing style
- Exclamation points
- Excessive bold and italics
- "To be"
Whoops, I exceeded the sixty-word-per-paragraph guideline. Take a deep breath.
How many words should there be in a paragraph? Let's take a look. Ask a Manager's most recent post will serve as an example. Excluding the introductory "A reader writes" paragraph, she averages 77 words per paragraph. Even a web writer's blog occasionally exceeds 60 words per paragraph. The paragraphs that don't are often one sentence long or sound choppy. I think paragraph length will follow from your writing style and your topic.
The next web writing tip is a short paragraph. Don't make grammatical mistakes. Proofread your text. Have someone else proofread your text.
Yes, make your content engaging. Yes, remember that websites aren't in order like a book. Yes, make your stuff easy to read and navigate.
The most important point to remember? Good web writing is good writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment