September 13, 2009

JavaScript Will Not Get You Coffee.

Apparently, web developers are chronic coffee abusers. There's Java, the programming language. There's CoffeeCup, a web design program similar to Dreamweaver. There's JavaScript (which, coincidentally, has nothing to do with Java), which was originally codenamed Mocha. I'm definitely sensing a pattern here.

Anyway, JavaScript was developed in 1995 as a relatively accessible language for amateur web developers. It was originally designed for Netscape Navigator; Microsoft developed a similar language, JScript, to fix compatibility issues with Internet Explorer and provide a language that could handle the catastrophe of changing centuries, but today both languages are considered nearly synonymous. JavaScript is run client-side and is object-oriented. According to Tiobe, JavaScript is the ninth most popular programming language, behind such languages as Java, PHP, and Basic.

JavaScript code must be enclosed in <script> tags with the type attribute set to "text/javascript". You can code anything from a simple line of text -- document.write("Hello, world!") -- to a confirm box that appears after you click a link on a page, to a window that opens with a sound clip. The possibilities are endless.

I actually have only passing knowledge of JavaScript. My abilities with that language consist of Googling what I'm after, with "javascript" tacked on the end, and modifying code I find to fit my needs. I know only enough to be dangerous, as they say. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, right?

Quote of the Week:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose/By any other word would smell as sweet." --Juliet, Romeo and Juliet

No comments: